Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Grateful Epiphany

Four days ago, I was wondering how long I could keep on going through chemo. I told myself to be patient, that better days would come soon, that there is something beautiful in everyday. All my mantras that get me through the hard time.

And then I am blessed with a day like today. I could get out and run an easy dawn workout with my friends, the moon setting over the Flatirons, and the grownup calves bleating in the fields. I could hang laundry outside at least once more before it gets too cold. I could spend a few hours watercolor painting and get lost in the colors. I could visit my mom and sit outside in the courtyard, plucking some bright leaves from the changing tree for her. I could stop by Whole Foods and delight in the sights and smells and choices. Crusty bread in abundance, creamy blocks of cheese, bright fall veggies, conjuring a memory of taste in the back of my mind.

The fatigue and queasiness of the last five days slip away as if it never happened, and the wonder rebounds.

 

No comments: